Updated: Dec 6, 2022
By Emily Whalen on Nov. 17, 2022
Pocono Mountains Magazine...Jim unveils big upgrades at ski resorts across the Poconos, including Camelback Mountain, Blue Mountain Resort, Ski Big Bear at Masthope Mountain, Jack Frost Mountain, Big Boulder Ski Area, and Shawnee Mountain Ski Area. He also shares a new tourism survey, looks at how charities are geared up for giving, and spotlights two local small businesses, Waterwheel Cafe and Gorgeous Floral. Brianna visits the acclaimed gingerbread house at Skytop Lodge, finds a tree for the season at Yenser's Christmas Tree Farm, introduces us to the new Snowmen of Stroudsburg, and shares a history lesson about ice harvesting on Pocono lakes and ponds.
10 Things to Do in the Pocono Mountains in December
Coming to the Pocono Mountains next month, and don't know what to do? Don't fret: we've got lots of activities for leisure seekers and snow lovers to enjoy! December means winter has arrived, and with that comes holiday festivities, family activities and snow. With plenty of options for things to do in the Poconos, you'll have to narrow down your itinerary to decide what to try first! Read on for 10 activities you can experience in the Pocono Mountains before the end of the year.
By Emily Whalen on Nov. 15, 2022
1. Holiday Events Celebrate the most wonderful time of the year with family and friends in the Pocono Mountains. Holiday events kick off late November and continue throughout December. Whether you want to explore decorated towns, marvel at a Poconos lights display, or meet Mr. and Mrs. Claus, there's something for everyone to enjoy. Get into the festive spirit during Hawley Winterfest or Jim Thorpe's Olde Time Christmas . Turn on your favorite Christmas tunes and enjoy a sparkling evening at Lights at the Lake or the West End Festival of Lights . From Creches From Around The World to an Ugly Sweater Party , enjoy a variety of yuletide traditions on the grounds of the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort . Holiday Events In the Pocono Mountains, holidays bring bountiful feasts, bright decorations and plenty of good cheer. View Events
2. Delicious Dining Treat yourself and your loved ones to a tasty meal next month! Dine in or order takeout or delivery at family restaurants, brew pubs and farm to table eateries that locally source and produce ingredients to help create amazing dishes. Bailey’s Rib and Steakhouse and Gresham's Chophouse offer atmosphere and menu options for all. Slopeside Pub & Grill and Roadies Restaurant and Bar provide appetizing meals with breathtaking scenic overlooks. Restaurants & Dining Poconos chefs use flair and creativity to produce delicious dishes. There are several local farm to table restaurants, and the Pocono Mountains' downtowns are a great spot to relax at one of the… Explore
3. Local Shopping 'Tis the season to go shopping! Explore what craft and specialty shops have to offer, or find a bargain at an outlet store. Here in Pennsylvania, there is no sales tax on clothing. Go ahead, splurge a little. You’re on vacation, after all! The Crossings Premium Outlets in Tannersville features 100 designer and name brand stores with daily savings. Discover unique gifts at boutiques like Stagbrook Gifts in Cresco or Earthly Treasures in Milford. Shopping Some enjoy the thrill of the hunt at a flea market, art gallery, or antique shop. Others prefer browsing in boutiques, craft and specialty shops. Still others get a kick out of finding outlet… Explore
4. Winter Spa Visit What better way to warm up this winter than at the spa? Relax and get in some well-deserved rest this season in the Pocono Mountains. Choose from a wide range of treatments and therapies, from facials and salon services to hot stone massages and body wraps. Turn your attention inward at the brand new Magnolia Inn & Wellness Center , offering innovative, healing and relaxing treatments. Whether you're just coming in for a day treatment or are taking the whole weekend to unwind, discover ultimate pampering in a peaceful countryside setting at Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa . Spa Facilities Immerse yourself in the peace and tranquility of a Pocono Mountains destination spa. Explore
5. Escape Rooms Think you've got what it takes to solve the mystery? Grab the gang, and head to an escape room this December! Follow a series of themed clues to try and get out in just 60 minutes. Trust us, you'll want to experience this if you haven't already. Put your teamwork and communications skills to the test at Escape It or Trap Door Escape Room in your race against time in one of five rooms. Work together to unravel the puzzle in one of four rooms at Klues Escape Room or try to navigate through a series of three rooms at The Wrath of Anubis . Escape Rooms Put your team to the test at an escape room in the Pocono Mountains! Work together to solve themed puzzles and break free before the clock runs out. Read More
6. Shooting Range Step out of your comfort zone, and try something different this season. Stop by a shooting range to learn firearms education, safety and training. While shooting at the gun range, friendly instructors assist in teaching best practices. During the winter, Sunset Hill Shooting Range is open Thursdays through Mondays. Families with children at least 13 years of age and beginners are always welcome to come learn. Sunset Hill Shooting Range Enjoy a unique Pocono Mountains experience at Sunset Hill Shooting Range! From friends and families to organizations and corporate retreats, Sunset’s rental gallery is a great opportunity to safely… View Listing
7. Casino Nightlife Step onto the magnificent, 65,144-square-foot gaming floor of Mount Airy Casino Resort this December. The casino offers over 1,800 slots featuring favorites like Wheel of Fortune and Blazin 7’s. If you prefer live action, try your luck at 80 game tables including Blackjack, Craps and more. Always remember to gamble responsibly. Working up an appetite? Casino dining provides a plethora of tasty options from Italian fine dining to Pan-Asian cuisine. Mount Airy Casino The casino resort features a mix of more than 1,800 of the latest slot machines and hottest table games. With over 70 tables, every type of player is sure to be satisfied. The beautiful… View Listing
8. Pocono Beverage Trail If you haven't tried the region's craft beverages, make sure you take time for a trip along the Pocono Beverage Trail before the end of the year, and don't forget to sign up for the new, free Pocono Beverage Trail digital passport. Microbreweries are located across the region, each bringing their own distinct flavors. Seasonal stouts and crisp pilsners await! Scenic wineries and distilleries are open year-round as well. Pocono Brewery Company in Swiftwater serves beers by the glass, flight and growler as well as wood-fired pizza. Try Appalachian spring-fed distilled spirits and award-winning vintages at the Sorrenti Family Estate Winery and Distillery in Saylorsburg. Pocono Beverage Trail The Pocono Beverage Trail is a craft beverage lover's dream. It's a beer trail, a wine trail, and spirits trail in one. Craft your adventure as you explore the best wineries, breweries, and… Read More
9. Snow Tubing Cue the snowflakes, it’s time to fly down the mountainside! Snow tubing is the easiest way to conquer the slopes. Suitable for just about everyone, you're sure to have a good time. All six Pocono ski resorts offer snow tubing on premises, with magic carpets for effortless transportation back to the top of the hill. Ski Big Bear at Masthope Mountain - Snow Tubing offers 500 feet of tube-thrills. Hit the lanes after dark at Camelback Mountain or Blue Mountain Resort to slide over the snow accompanied by neon lights and music. Snow Tubing Snow tubing is the easiest way to have fun sliding down a snowy 200-foot vertical drop in the Pocono Mountains Explore
10. Horseback Riding Bundle up and enjoy the crisp, winter season while horseback riding. Bushkill Riding Stables is open year-round and offers a relaxing ride through the woods. Outfitters across the region welcome beginners. With a little help from mother nature, sleigh rides are also available in the Poconos. Happy Trails Stables offers horse-drawn sleigh rides through the freshly fallen snow. Participate in an old-fashioned custom through the region’s beauteous, winter wonderland. Horseback Riding Come out and enjoy the winter scenery from a different angle. Take to the trails at Daisy Field Farm for a winter adventure. Enjoy a relaxing ride at Deer Path Riding Stables or Fernwood's Winter… ExploreWant to experience even more in the Pocono Mountains? Check out our winter page for additional resources as you plan your trip. Ski and snow activities will start in December, so be sure to keep an eye on the area's snow conditions.